Surfing in Costa Rica at 9 weeks pregnant

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wow it's Thursday and I've gotten in 3 workouts already, it's like a miracle! So far I've done:

-3 rounds: 400m run, 50 squats

-"Nate"- a Crossfit Hero Workout which as prescribed is as many rounds as possible in 20 min of 2 muscle -ups, 4 hand-stand push ups, 8 kettlebell swings @ 55lbs. My scaling was 3 rounds of banded muscle ups, then 2 rounds of 4 pull-ups and 4 banded dips, push-ups I did with my toes elevated on our small box (body NOT inverted) and I used a 35# KB. I ended up with a pretty uncomfortable pec strain so today I omitted any upper body work.

-5 rounds 300m run, 10 back squats @ 95#

I am feeling great still, was super excited to have done banded muscle-ups in a workout again, especially given my weaker core these days.

Post-Workout Nutrition

Since I recently discussed pre-workout nutrition, thought it was logical to go into the post-workout phase. I'll mainly stick to the first 30 minutes following exercise, after that it's up to you whatever diet you want to follow, whether it's Zone, Paleo (my preference), or what works best for your training needs.

The 30 minute window is key to replace muscle glycogen lost during exercise. What you eat now can be key in how well you perform during your next workout. A liquid meal replacement is best during the immediate workout stage, since it's more easily digested by the body. The liquid should be a mix of carbohydrate (CHO), protein, and some electrolytes. The CHO component should be about 1G CHO per kilogram of body weight (1kg=2.2lbs). Muscle repair is better facilitated when protein is consumed in the immediate post-workout window, which is why you need to have protein in the mix as well (whey protein being of the best quality). The CHO to protein ratio should be about 4:1, for every 4 G CHO/1 G protein. There should be some electrolyte added, but this is also dependent upon length of workout, intensity, and temperature. A good guide is if you're sweating heavily,working out for a long period of time, or in extreme heat, you would need to replace lost electrolytes.

What type of drink is again up to you. Commercially prepared drinks like Gatorade are certainly fine. I believe Gatorade makes a new series which includes a post-workout beverage containing protein, which they didn't previously have. I just buy plain old Wal-Mart single sport drink powder packs containing plain old sugar and electrolytes, drink immediately after, then focus more on my protein intake when I get home. You could also make up your own drink using the ratios listed above, using fruit puree or juice and protein powder, adding a little salt if you need the electrolyte replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment