Surfing in Costa Rica at 9 weeks pregnant

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Another busy, stressful week, but managed to squeeze in a few workouts.

I focused on strength last weekend, did push-jerks/split-jerks @95#x5, 105x5, 115x5 and made up a weighted pull-up workout starting out with 10 lbs, 15, 25, 35, 45, 55, 60. Each was one kipping pull-up with the added weight including the 9 lbs of pregnancy weight I've finally gained at just about 22 weeks pregnant.

21-15-9 step-ups, push-ups, and overhead squats @ 65#

4 rounds 10 pull-ups, 10 deadlifts 125#, 10 overhead walking lunges with 25# plate

3 rounds 300m run, 10 push-jerks 75#, 10 kettlebell swings 35#

Overall I'm feeling really good still. Have definitely noticed some mechanical changes as my abdomen has grown and my center of gravity has shifted. My deadlift stance has widened and I compensated by dropping the weight by 10lbs just to make sure I did it safely. I lost my push-press a long time ago! I feel a lot of strain in my extreme lower abdominals on the push-press so I mainly do push-jerks now. It really feels different when you lose the extra hip force. Step-ups on the 20" box are interesting as well, I can't lift my leg straight in front of me so I have to be careful to watch the lower back while externally rotating my hip outward to step onto the box.

Maintaining Core Strength During Pregnancy

Probably the most weakness you'll notice while pregnant and post-partum will be in the abdomen and core. The reasons are obvious, a growing uterus causing the abdominal muscles to expand and thus weaken. Some women will even experience a diastasis, or separation in the vertical rectus abdominis muscles. Continuing weight training will still keep your core fairly strong, especially doing Crossfit. Some exercises that I have continued with and recommend are as follows:

Planks- Planks are great for maintaining core strength, even if you can't do them on your toes. Make sure to always maintain even breathing, since it can be tempting to want to hold your breath during the hold which is a big no-no while pregnant. If you can do side planks, do them as well. You don't need to overachieve and go for an all-out 60 sec hold, though certainly do it if you can. 15-30 sec is fine and just build up from there, do 2-3 sets.

Reverse crunches- You'll start out on all fours (on knees and hands) facing downward with head, neck & spine in alignment, next round your back (like a cat arching it's back) while tucking your chin and pelvis (almost like bringing them in to meet each other) focusing on exhaling through the movement. Repeat the movement slowly in multiple reps of 10-12 in sets of 2-3.

Opposite arm/leg lifts- starts in the same position as reverse crunches, reaching out with left arm/right leg simultaneously and holding for about 2-3 sec, repeating with opposite side, maintaing even alignment of the leg/spine/neck/arm. Again do about 10-12 reps in 2-3 sets.

Again, just keep working out, keep doing strict push-ups, push-ups with you toes elevated on a box, knee push-ups, good-mornings, kettlebell swings, olympic lifting (with scaled weight if necessary), deadlifts, toes-to-bar, knees to elbows. All are good for keeping core strength.

Just keep exercising ladies!! The human body was made to move, even while pregnant! Your body will thank you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment