Surfing in Costa Rica at 9 weeks pregnant

Saturday, July 24, 2010

So today was my first day back in the gym after almost a week off tending to a sick little one. I made up a fairly light workout of 3 rounds: 10 push jerks 75#, 15 good mornings w/ 25# plate (cause I didn't want to hog 2 barbells), and 10 pull-ups. I felt pretty good, paced my self well. Before the workout I did some skill work trying to master the butterfly kip. Right now I'm almost 17 weeks pregnant and feeling much more energetic during the workouts, so we'll see where it goes from here.

OVERHEATING/Temperature Regulation

Exercise in the heat presents some concerns for pregnant women. Having an elevated core body temperature of 102F has been correlated with certain birth defects and/or miscarriage. Exact outcomes are influenced by exactly how high (of temperature), duration of, etc. The activity of muscle during exercise can increase body heat levels up to 20 times than when at rest. Overheating during pregnancy should be avoided all together.

Prevention of overheating is crucial. Try to workout at cooler times of day, mostly morning. Wear loose fitting, moisture wicking fabrics. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I cannot stress it enough, start out your workout being adequately hydrated. Pace yourself, take rest breaks, and if you feel like it's too hot to workout outdoors, then take the day off. It's just not worth the risk to you or your unborn baby.

Some of my personal strategies to beat the heat include hydration (see previous post), I also carry a water bottle to mist myself during the workout just to aid my body in dissipating heat more easily. I also try to position myself by a fan if possible. I really pace myself, there's no sense in rushing through a workout during pregnancy anyway, and the faster you go, the hotter you get. Recently it's been VERY hot where I live, and if I can't make the morning workout, then I'll take that day off. As many of us know, Crossfit gyms are not climate controlled and many workouts occur outdoors.

4 comments:

  1. Jen, this is so cool! You will help lots of pregnant mommas stay fit! I wish I had something like this when I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super excited that there is someone out there who can provide info on pregnancy and crossfit! I too attend crossfit, and am pregnant! I know I am allowed to workout, but to what point! The docs are no help, and you can't believe everything you read. I read one book where it said don't workout at all, so I am glad there is someone out there who has done what I am currently doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to help! I didn't workout during my first pregnancy after I had a pre-term labor scare at 20 weeks and I gained 65+ lbs. I've been super active ever since and didn't want to lose all I gained in the past 3 years, I hope to have some educational tidbit with every post so send any questions you have and I'll address them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anything pops into mind I will be sure to send those questions your way...so far you are the only I can ask questions about crossfit and pregnancy, well the only one with experience!

    ReplyDelete